An Acrow Prop is a piece of construction equipment. It is a telescopic tubular steel prop, used as a temporary support in the building and construction industry. It typically has a built in screw jack system which can be extended and reduced to fit varies heights.
Outside Australia an Acrow prop may also be known as a jack post, adjustable post, telescoping prop, screw jack, adjustable steel column, adjustable steel prop, adjustable metal prop, as well as an adjustable shoring post.
Acrow Props in Australia generally come in the following standard sizes and capacities
- Size 0 – Height Range 1050mm to 1850mm – Capacity Range 42.5kN to 23kN
- Size 1 – Height Range 1600mm to 2800mm – Capacity Range 34.0kN to 13kN
- Size 2 – Height Range 1900mm to 3400mm – Capacity Range 39.0kN to 11kN
- Size 3 – Height Range 2170mm to 3975mm – Capacity Range 35.5kN to 7.5N
- Size 4 – Height Range 3100mm to 4900mm – Capacity Range 21.0kN to 6kN
Note – Extreme caution should be used when ordering acrow props for a particular application because unfortunately cheaper imported products made from lower grade steel are also available which may significantly lower capacities. Please request capacities from your supplier.
The working safe load for a given prop varies according to the distance between its ends and the eccentricity of the load relative to the longitudinal axis of the prop. The longer the prop is extended the lower the safe working load of the prop is. Eccentric loads can also reduce the capacity of props significantly.